a miscellaneous hockey player
This year, that team is Vancouver. Yet despite the President's Trophy-winning Canucks representing what's probably the country's best chance at a championship since the lockout, many Canadian fans seem hesitant to climb onto the bandwagon.
That view seems short-sighted. While it's understandable that fans of the other five Canadian teams would be reluctant to even temporarily support another team, it says here that it's the logical move.
So if you're a Canadian hockey fan and find yourself still on the fence about rooting for the Canucks, consider the following list of good reasons to throw your support behind the nation's last hope.
- Geologists and historians assure us that, in the strictest technically sense, Vancouver is part of Canada.
- Manny Malhotra has been a feel-good story as he attempts to resume his playing career after a devastating eye injury, instead of just going straight into refereeing like anyone else would have done.
- Admit it, it would be fun to watch Roberto Luongo win a Stanley Cup and still be roundly criticized for not doing it "clutchily" enough.
- If you do decide to root against them and Mike Gillis finds out, uh oh, here comes another press conference.
- Odds are at some point a Canadian fanbase will watch their team win the Stanley Cup and immediately become completely insufferable towards the rest of the country; at least if it's Vancouver, the rest of us will get a three hours break first thing every morning.
- If you can get on the Canucks' good side, they might let you help design the new logo they'll inevitably be coming out with in the next year or two.
- It's been a long time since hockey lovers around the country joined together in pursuit of a common cause, unless you count getting Winnipeg fans' hopes up yet again and then laughing at them.
- It's been inspirational watching the Canucks continue to succeed despite every player on the roster having whatever that disease is where you keel over dramatically the second anybody brushes up against you.
- Maple Leaf fans might really enjoy seeing a team built by Brian Burke and Dave Nonis win something for a change.
- The Stanley Cup finals are expected to wrap up in early June, which would be good timing for Vancouver since it would coincide with the scheduled end of that Markus Naslund jersey retirement ceremony.
- Ottawa fans would no doubt love to see Sharks star Dany Heatley come up short in a devastating playoff loss, since it would remind them of the good old days.
- No matter what team you're a fan of, you just can't root against Ryan Kesler. No, really, you can't. If you try, the next time you close your medicine cabinet door he'll be standing right behind you.
- It would be a nice change for Canuck fans' ever-present persecution complex to be unfounded because the rest of Canada is rooting for them, instead being unfounded because the rest of Canada doesn't care.
- Sure, go ahead and get Canuck fans mad at you if you want, but good luck nailing that big sales presentation when you've got two guys in green bodysuits humping the boardroom window.