with his rolodex.
But of course, you don't care about the entire league. You care about your favorite team, and just how badly they managed to screw up this time around. So I've assembled a handy list of a dozen signs that your favorite team's GM had a bad deadline day:
- On deadline day, Twitter's top local trending topic for your city was the word "Fergusonesque".
- Instead of listening to his scouting staff or consulting his front office assistants, he came up with all his trade ideas by reading threads at hfboards.com.
- He explains to the media that he was under the mistaken impression that his contract included a no-trade clause.
- He keeps complaining that over the past two weeks Brian Burke never got back to him about any of his offers for Ryan Miller, Patrick Kane and Zach Parise.
- Everyone at your office who followed the deadline on the web has a call into the helpdesk because their keyboards have worn out "f" and "u" keys.
- Every time one of your team's trades was announced on TSN, Pierre McGuire stopped yelling at Darren Pang and just stared into the camera like the guy from Munch's The Scream.
- The guy who programs the trade AI for NHL 10 called your team's trades "laughably unrealistic".
- He explained that his entire strategy is to acquire enough expiring contracts to free up cap room to sign Lebron James.
- That cell phone he spent all day screaming offers into turned out to be a Game Boy.
- The plan: Address a need for toughness and experience by trading for Raffi Torres. The result: Addressed a need for catchy children's music by trading for Raffi Cavoukian.
- You saw a guy in line for a cab at the airport arrivals gate who looked suspiciously like Vesa Toskala.