Redden watched at home in awkward silence.
Fans watching on television were also treated to microphones on several players to record the conversations that happened off-camera. But due to time constraints, the broadcast couldn’t show everything that was being said behind the scenes. And according to sources, viewers missed out on some interesting sound bites.
Here’s a collection of some of the comments that were overheard over the course of the all-star draft.
- I guess Dion Phaneuf must be really interested in land titles and property rights, since the first thing he asks every player he meets is whether they’ve done any surveys lately.
- Well, Pavel Datsyuk went first overall, so I guess we can all go home. If there’s one thing Ottawa hockey fans know about drafts, it’s that no one remembers number two.
- So both captains seemed to be building their rosters without any sort of solid plan or even putting the minimal amount of actual thought into what they’re doing. So, just wondering… are either of you guys looking for a job, and can you speak French?
- For the last time, Zdeno, when you make a pick you have to wait for the player to walk down the hall from the backstage area. Please stop reaching in and grabbing them.
- Awkward moment just now: James Duthie brought out a quarter for the opening coin flip and Gary Bettman ran up and tried to sell him the Coyotes.
- I think I just heard one of the players say something charismatic and insightful. Quick, somebody tase him before the cameras come back on!
- Wow, Ryan Suter and Shea Weber on separate teams, I didn’t think we’d ever see that until the trade deadline.
- All these Ottawa Senator fans keep booing the Maple Leafs because the two teams used to have a super intense rivalry the last time Toronto was in the playoffs. Somebody explain it to Jordan Eberle, since he wasn’t born yet.
- Hey look, just what every 22-year-old millionaire pro athlete in California wants: a sedan!
- One team wound up with all the Bruins and the other one has all the Canucks, so that should make for a pretty even matchup in the skills competition “Incessant Persecution Complex” event.
- The last thing I remember is saying is “All this hype about Beaver Tails and they turn out to just be a piece of bread with sugar on it”, and then half of Ottawa was chasing me down the street with torches and pitchforks.
- This is boring. Next year I’m totally going to give somebody a leaping headshot so I get to stay home.
- "Don’t worry Logan, I was the last pick in last year’s draft and I know how you feel right now, but I can tell you from experience that after a few days everyone will have forgotten all about the whole thing." At least I think that’s what Phil Kessel said he wanted to tell you, I’ll ask him once he finishes doing cartwheels down the hallway while screaming "Thank you lord, my personal hell has finally ended".
- I just saw Tim Thomas chatting with Dale Hunter, which makes sense, since he can’t figure out how to make proper use of Capitals either.